Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Suspension? Weird feeling in front end.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Just thought....doesn't it sit against a spindle? Haven't had mine off in about 3 years, so don't remember. And if I remember correctly, I probably used my Teflon product to coat the spindle......same on the OD of the front hub. Haven't had any problems with rust because of that.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:00 PM

The 2008 did not have a tight fit. I am assuming that when the changed the design of the drums 2009-2010 they made the center (hub) hole a fraction smaller so it is a tight interference fit instead of a loose fit. It could be just mine, but it was both sides and even the second time was a challenge and getting them back on took a bit of doing.

I am pretty sure that GM adapted spare parts from other models on the 2010-2011s. That may be it. They have "American type" (pin & spring) hold down hardware instead of the "universal spring", and the self adjuster works backwards (the sprag wheel is on the leading side).

Too many adult beverages to get the pics right, but read the captions. There seems to be a difference between SS and LT in 2008.
Attached Images    
Old 02-23-2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I was not talking about just you. There seems to be a trend of after adjust the brakes is recommended the poster states "They were just looked at and still are good".

On my 2011 I needed the hammer AND a pry bar to get them off, and several different "try it again later" attempts. Not quite a press fit, just a real tight interference fit. The 2008 come off rather easily.

Ok worked on the rear brakes yesterday. I think the brakes were done at the dealer before I bought (they didn't mention Though) or recently by previous owner. Only took about 5 hammer whacks to get drivers drum loose and passengers I got off by hand - no hammer needed.

Shoes looked good about same thickness as new set I bought in case they were bad (returned that set last night). Cleaned everything out, there was a fair amount of black brake dust in there. Got them adjusted to 3 clicks. Drove it a little and it does feel somewhat better, less pedal feedback. Still noisy however, squealy from front.

I already bought that set of red painted SS front brakes that were being sold here so those are going on today. Could have done yesterday, but didn't have any bleeding assistant until today. Hopefully that will take care of the noise

Will look around at LCA and sway bar bushings while ive got the front all taken apart

Thanks for all the suggestions.