Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Thong noise when turning steering wheel...help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:41 AM

Thong noise when turning steering wheel...help

I have a 2006 HHR LT 2.2. I have a "thong" when turning me steering wheel. I guess that it is either directon....I just sat in the car to determine that. I can have the steering wheel set where all the tires are straight, and rock the steering wheel either direction, and the "thong" goes off either direction, but more so when I turn left. It does it driving or sitting still. There is also eeeuhhh eeeuhh (squeeky)noises when going over bumps on the right side.
In the past three months I have had replaced:
part # description
20784688 link
25834100 shaft kit
19157892 pad kit
20784688 link
20794267/8 strut kits
20902784 insulator
25932567 evap vent solenoid
12597567 other evap under hood

All work done by the chevy dealership, not much choice around here. I was fed up because I have returned the car twice due to the "thong" which they state that they can not duplicate customer concern~I took the car to another shop, where they tightend my hood
But the other shop did tell me to take it back to dealership because they believe that the berrings in the strut mounts may be the problem.
I did....and that turned into a "tinkling contest" because I did not think it was fair that they want to charge me full cost to tear down the car to replace berrings when they should have replaced them in the first place. My brake pads were fine, they wanted to replace them because it was cheaper while the car was down...so why not the berrings?
Sorry so long, I just tried to provide as much information as I could. I find these forums very informative, although I am not physically able to do the work myself. I appreciate any ideas on this.

Last edited by dustymulette; 03-02-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: forgot to add what car is...
Old 03-02-2012, 01:00 PM

The bearing that they you are talking about is at the top of the strut, not the wheel bearing. If you had Quick struts installed, then you got new ones then. The mechanic needs to get paid by someone, if it's not under warratny that means you. Sounds to me like "what we got here, is a failure to communicate".
Old 03-03-2012, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The bearing that they you are talking about is at the top of the strut, not the wheel bearing. If you had Quick struts installed, then you got new ones then. The mechanic needs to get paid by someone, if it's not under warratny that means you. Sounds to me like "what we got here, is a failure to communicate".
I agree....since I requested the links and bushings...And anything else that needed to be repaired...I am aware which bearings they are talking about...

I have decided to take it to another shop at a later date. My question is....would the bearings be the only thing that makes the steering wheel go "thong"?
Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Deceased

The strut mounts would be my most likely suspects, but it does sound like you have something binding in the front end.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 AM

Has this been resolved? I'm getting that exact noise/thump when steering side-to-side (car is stopped with engine running). I had someone operate the steering wheel while I was looking up and "feeling things", and found out that the noise is coming from the strut springs vibrating (both are) after something binds and releases somewhere in the steering linkage.

My power steering is fine and my steering column/intermediate shaft have never been replaced, but I'm leaning more towards one of the strut's top bearing. Is there any way to confirm? I'm suspecting that lifting the front of the car would remove the binding if that's the problem.

I still have to crawl underneath to do the basic checks: tie rods and lower bushings.

Other suggestions? I'm listening.

Thanks

Yves
Old 05-29-2012, 05:32 PM

i wanna see this thong noise!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:39 PM

I just had this diagnosed at a dealer...with what you have repaired it kinda narrows it down. definitly sounds like the strut/bearing cap. I would find a reliable shop because a dealer will rip you off with this($500)

and dream, your describing the same thing. the spring will vibrate/make noises when turning.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 PM

"Thong" is actually pretty accurate in describing the sound: hit your spring with a rubber mallet, it'll sound the same.

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
and dream, your describing the same thing. the spring will vibrate/make noises when turning.
Funny thing is that I can't figure out which side is binding.... I guess I'll be lifting the front end off the ground and turn the wheels side-to-side by hand, or I'll just give up and change both sides. My struts are still fairly new, they were replaced 2-3 years ago.... but they likely never touched the top bearing.

Thanks for the info; keep it coming.

Yves
Old 05-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by DreamHHR
"Thong" is actually pretty accurate in describing the sound: hit your spring with a rubber mallet, it'll sound the same.

Funny thing is that I can't figure out which side is binding.... I guess I'll be lifting the front end off the ground and turn the wheels side-to-side by hand, or I'll just give up and change both sides. My struts are still fairly new, they were replaced 2-3 years ago.... but they likely never touched the top bearing.

Thanks for the info; keep it coming.

Yves
2-3 years is NOT fairly recently. They only last 60K or so. Was the replacement a strut only, or a quick-strut. This could be a case of the Cobalt Quick-strut masquerading as an HHR part. Or the plastic pads between the springs and the strut may be worn out. Just spit-balling.