Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Timing Chain???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 01:21 AM

Timing Chain???

First let me apologize if this has been answered before in other posts but I promise I have tried finding the answer and haven't been able to.

I have been experiencing a lot of issues with starting and some power loss. When starting my HHR makes a strange noise that I have been able to compare to some examples others have posted of issues with the timing chain and its tensioner. I went to the shop and inquired about getting the issue fixed but was sadly informed that the only way this can be accomplished is if the engine is dropped. The estimated cost for the entire repair totaled in the thousands.

I went to another shop and was informed the same but from what I have read on some other posts on here it doesn't seem that this should be the case. I admit that I am not very mechanically inclined and as such I am not sure what to expect on a repair like this. Can anyone help provide some insight into what I should expect for the repair costs for an issue like this?
Old 12-21-2016, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

If in truth the problem you are having is related to the timing chain, it's guides etc., no the engine does not have to be removed. Some have "lowered" it to get a little more room to work with - I gather that refers to a quick loosening of the cradle, but sounded pretty minor.

Without doing a search myself, from what I believe has been posted here some have had their timing chain, guides and water pump replaced for something in the neighbourhood of $1200 for labour and maybe $150-$200 for parts. A number of people have done the work themselves with great success, and a few have encountered some problems doing it themselves.

So what other than your own diagnosis, leads you to believe it is a timing chain issue? Have you had a mechanic diagnose it? I mean other than the ones that say the engine must be pulled, as they are obviously way way off base.

Stating the year, mileage and engine details (2.4/2.2/2.0) would also help those giving feedback.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:27 AM
Platinum Member

Ok, I just had to do a quick search out of curiosity, looking for "timing chain cost" and the very first posting lead me to https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...t-49931/page2/

another thread quotes 4 hrs labour - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...e-broke-52181/
Old 12-21-2016, 07:14 AM
Administrator

I just replaced the timing chain, took about 5 hours , I actually had to lift the engine to access the belt tensioner bolt. No dropping of the cradle
Old 12-22-2016, 01:03 PM

You just replaced the timing chain? Where did you get you parts (what all did you get) and at what cost? I am shopping at the moment...
Old 12-22-2016, 01:04 PM

ebay.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:03 PM
Administrator

EBay and amazon , but I'm in Canada , y'all have Summit, Jegs and AZ then there is EBay!

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/clo-9-4201sx

And this

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/fel-tcs46041

If you have a 2.4

Old 03-03-2017, 11:44 AM

Sorry for the ridiculously late reply, a lot has happened in the last few months and really kept me distracted. I still have not gotten this issue fixed as I have mostly been driving my company car. In the last few months my HHR has given me intermittent issues. Often it starts just fine but sometimes it makes an odd noise when starting that lasts for a couple seconds. Today it made the noise again but it lasted for at least 10 seconds. My idle felt rough today and my acceleration was weak. Also, when accelerating there is an odd sound that is made. It's not loud but I notice it. It's hard to describe but it sounds like revving/grinding sound.

To answer this:

Originally Posted by whopper

So what other than your own diagnosis, leads you to believe it is a timing chain issue? Have you had a mechanic diagnose it? I mean other than the ones that say the engine must be pulled, as they are obviously way way off base.

Stating the year, mileage and engine details (2.4/2.2/2.0) would also help those giving feedback.
I took the car to the dealer and was told that the diagnostics didn't show any issues with the timing or other engine issues. (To be honest, I have a crap dealership near me. I need to drive a ways out to another one) My engine light has not come on and most of the time it all seems fine. The issue is that the car never acts up when I take it to a mechanic. I have even left it with a mechanic for a week and it never acted up according to him. When it got it back it was fine for about two weeks before doing it again and even then it was just intermittent.

It's a 2009, 130K 2.2.

I came to the conclusion it might be a timing issue from other posts I have found with people with the same issue. I also found a video where someone got the sound recorded and it matched the same sound my HHR makes.

I have read it could be the tensioner, but I have called around and everywhere is telling me that the whole chain needs to be replaced and the guides. They seem to be ignorant to just being able to change the tensioner. This includes the Chevy dealership.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:48 PM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-rattle-46159/

Timing chain is a 5 hour flat rate job plus an hour, or so for the guides maybe (depends on the shop).
About $260 parts MSRP. (prices from Mitchell 2013).

I would suggest replacing chain, guides and tensioners at the same time.

Might be a bad water pump.

It is hard to believe a dealership couldn't find anything to bill for!
Old 03-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Administrator

An '09 at that mileage replace the timing chain and guides, at that age the chain has stretched and those guides are worn.

This is the timing chain kit

https://www.carid.com/cloyes/engine-...n-9-4201s.html

And the balance shaft chain set

https://www.carid.com/cloyes/engine-...n-9-4202s.html

As you see these are complete with camshaft bolts , the valve cover gasket and the timing chain cover gaskets are reusable once or twice.