Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Window Regulator issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:41 PM

Window Regulator issues

So I powered my window down and now it wont go back up. I had heard it making some slipping noises prior to this so I thought for sure I needed a new regulator. I bought a new one and installed it but the window still doesn't go up or down! Im looking to get a wiring diagram now and hope to do some voltage testing tomorrow.

MY ISSUE / QUESTION. Since this is going to be a little time before I can diagnose the problem and actually fix it, How can I power the regulator so the track goes to the up position....then I can take my time to figure this out. Can I somehow do it on my workbench with a battery? I took it out again to prop the glass up so it's closed. It obviously can't stay like this. I mean I suppose theres a chance the new one is bad, but I highly doubt it. Bench testing it will eliminate that question too.
thanks
CK

2009 hhr panel. Drivers side window works jus fine. When I hit the switch I hear a click at the passenger switch...tells me power is getting there
Old 06-09-2015, 06:06 AM

Bench testing is fairly easy with a battery. The window motor is just a 12 volt DC motor.

Two wires hook up one way the motor turns in one direction reverse the wires and the motor will turn the other direction.

Be carful there are lots of pinch points for your fingers when the regulator is moving
Old 06-09-2015, 06:09 AM

I don't suppose you checked the switches first? If power is getting to the motor, there is either a jam or a bad motor. There is most likely a limit switch somewhere in the circuit, just guessing.

12V is 12V whether it's in the car or on the bench.

Check your PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:19 AM

thanks guys. I'm kind of thinking my new regulator/motor was bad since neither new or old worked bench testing. I was thinking perhaps I was missing something during bench testing but it appears not. I know it seems improbable but its seeming the case at this point...just bad luck.
I'm going to take my time in a day or so and go through it all one more time before I buy another one. Now that I have proper documentation to go by.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I don't suppose you checked the switches first?

I did check the switches but neither one operates it, I can't see both switches going bad at the same time. Pretty sure I checked power everywhere I needed to and got 12, I was quickly doing it though and could have easily missed something. The day this happened was a rainy day of course so evertything was done in haste.
The windows been wedged up ever since...time to get at this properly
Old 06-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Give this thread a read. Hope it helps

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-switch-46384/