SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Bad Turbo? :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:39 AM

Just got a response from someone at RX. I explained the 2 can setup, and he responded with "I wouldn't do it your way." Said he would be happy to get in contact with me tomorrow to find the best way to filter both locations.

Soon as I talk to him and get some insight, I'll be happy to post what he recommends.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by drummerboy0088
Awesome - and you're having the air go through the mini air filter like Dr posted between the PCV and catch can, or between the catch can and intake manifold?
The mini air filter is the catch can.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:28 PM

I got a call from Tom at RX. Since the ecotec isn't a platform they're use to working with, I had to explain to them the setup on my ss - which is stock. He confirmed exactly what everyone has been saying - you need to setup a can to intercept between valve cover and turbo, as well as between PCV and intake manifold. He totally sold me on their system which is a 3 valve system (1 in, 2 outs).

Looks like I can go from valve cover port #2 (passenger) and the PCV and T them into the B port (in) of the can, then run 1 out to the turbo, and the other out back into the manifold. Re-reading Dbeluscak's thread - his, Doc, and RJ's are all on the right path. There's no way to intercept the PCV unless you remove it from the manifold.

Kudos to you 3 (and 2005HHR for the RX link) for all the help!
Old 02-04-2016, 03:16 PM

If you go with their can, you could just remove the PCV valve, put the pipe plug in the orifice, and draw vapors from port #2. That should work, you get vacuum in boost condition from the turbo, vacuum in normal driving from the intake(brake booster line), and draw vapor from port #2. You would have to plumb in the PCV valve between the can and the brake booster line. Unless maybe they've got check valves built into their system or can.

GM just used the shortest, easiest path to the 2 vacuum sources, but crankcase vapors all come from the same place: the crankcase!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
If you go with their can, you could just remove the PCV valve, put the pipe plug in the orifice, and draw vapors from port #2. That should work, you get vacuum in boost condition from the turbo, vacuum in normal driving from the intake(brake booster line), and draw vapor from port #2. You would have to plumb in the PCV valve between the can and the brake booster line. Unless maybe they've got check valves built into their system or can.

GM just used the shortest, easiest path to the 2 vacuum sources, but crankcase vapors all come from the same place: the crankcase!
So you're saying port #2 into the can, then output 1 from the can goes to the inlet of the turbo, and output 2 from the can to the PCV which goes to the brake booster line into the intake manifold?

The only thing I'm worried about is putting a line from the can into the brake booster/master cylinder line. If any oil comes out of the line from the catch can, couldn't it travel to the master cylinder and cause a bigger problem? Or is it because air flow it going away from the brake booster, it will all travel to the engine?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 PM

Under boost conditions, you have that potential now. That whole system gets pressurized, intake manifold and all the vacuum lines, and there's only 2 intake valves open at any one time to try to relieve that pressure.

Under normal, non-boost conditions, it's like you said, the air flow is moving away from the brake booster and traveling towards the intake valves.

You have to utilize manifold vacuum to evacuate the crankcase pressure and combustion contaminants, so If your can fails, the oil will enter the intake system, either through the booster line or wherever you tap into manifold vacuum. But like I said, it's already there now, you may as well try to control it.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:00 AM

Great - Thanks RJ!

I'm gonna get a new intake manifold from ZZP since I'm going to have to remove the PCV, plug the space, and drill to re-route the air in the manifold.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Are you going with the RX system? If so, you shouldn't have to drill your manifold, just remove the PCV, tap the hole that is already inside there, and plug it.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Are you going with the RX system? If so, you shouldn't have to drill your manifold, just remove the PCV, tap the hole that is already inside there, and plug it.
Now I got it (I hope!)

Since the PCV is out and air flow is essentially coming from Valve 2, just plug the hole for the PCV in the intake manifold.

Valve #2 to the catch can, output 1 from can to the turbo inlet, output 2 to the now external PCV, into the booster line to get into the intake manifold.

Now that I read this, that's exactly what I said earlier and you confirmed RJ - man this is definitely a learning experience for me!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by drummerboy0088
Now I got it (I hope!)

Now that I read this, that's exactly what I said earlier and you confirmed RJ - man this is definitely a learning experience for me!
It is a learning experience for all involved. Having a motor apart makes it much easier to understand what they, GM, had going on. Although I believe the motor was initially a SAAB design. I do know that SAAB is forged into the crank.