SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Engine Rattle During Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by rorr
I had the same problem, on multiple SS motors. Broken chain guides with little mileage after a timing set replacement. I pulled the cam tensioner apart and they were both broken. Since one was Cloyes and the other was ACDelco, I was a bit miffed. I purchased 2 new ACDelco tensioners and installed 1. For grins, before I ran the engine, I thought I'd pull the tensioner, to make sure my "pop" on it was sufficient to activate it. Low and behold, it was already broken... Come to find out my "pop" was stronger than the required activation "pop" and I was damaging the internals of the tensioner. So, instead of adjusting my pop strength, I just installed the tensioner activated already. It was easy, just had to place a small socket inside my tensioner socket so I could push in the tensioner enough to start the threads. Problem is now solved and both engines are running great.

​Robert
Thanks for this helpful information. I'll pull my tensioner and inspect it.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:55 PM

Every time I ever had a rattle under acceleration it was the exhaust system and correcting the mountings fixed it.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:13 PM

I think you should look at the exhaust pipes where they are close to the body/frame and look for rub. If there is/are shiny spots you found the source and do like PulpFriction says.
Old 07-20-2023, 05:44 AM

Folks, thanks, but I'm 1000% sure it is not an exhaust rattle. I know some folks suggested that earlier in the thread, but I've shared the latest with you to clearly indicate the chain is loose.

I bought a new GM tensioner and am going to try it. For whatever it's worth, my Cloyes tensioner came in a box that said "made in China." The GM tensioner says "made in Slovakia," which I assume is of better quality, since I never hear of Slovakia in the same context as China. I asked Cloyes last year about the "made in China" sticker. They said, "yah the parts are made in China, but under American supervision." At the time, it wasn't very reassuring, but I took the chance anyways. I think we will soon learn if the Cloyes tensioner is substandard.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:48 AM

Hard to find any item made out of steel that is not made in China or India.
Old 07-24-2023, 05:45 AM

UPDATE: I purchased a new AC Delco tensioner. On the bench, I disassembled the old Cloyes tensioner as well as the new AC Delco tensioner. Nothing was broken inside the Cloyes tensioner. The design and method of construction looked to be the same between them. As mentioned earlier, the Cloyes component is made in China, while the AC Delco component is made in Slovakia. The cold startup rattle seems to have disappeared. I'll drive it for a while and see what happens.