SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

The SS making a clunk noise at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:45 PM

My experience happened around Oct.-Nov. of last year, and no don't have the old case number now.
The noise that I was trying to locate[ noise in front end since day I bought car new] kept getting louder as the miles went up, so I dropped by F.H, Dailey Chevrolet to talk to the service manager[a old drag race friend of mine] to see if they could locate the noise, so I could fix it myself. He said, No problem, bring it in and we'll take care of it[car had less than 9000 miles on it]. Well, after a week, called and said, car fixed. Picked up car, and within a block, found it was'nt. They kept it a few days, same deal, noise still there. Then when I pointed it out the thrid time, I was told that since I'd installed Pedders springs, since new, they could'nt help me.
Well, about a week or so later, got a survey. Did'nt thinkl anyone would read it, so I flamed F.H. Daily real good. Found out "Bad decision as it started all kinds of fireworks. Suddenly I'm the bad guy.
Customerservice got involved, swearning that my problem would be handled. Well, after a lenghtly back and forth, found out service rep. had put me on the GM poo-poo- list, so now Custom service, started making up stuff to get off the hook[ the red painted calipers, only one of a few lame excuses, they came up with, so they denied any more help. Found out Groth Bros.[where I bought the car-and I know the owner] found out about the whole thing, and they said "No dice, you are black balled for warranty work].
Well, now after all that crap, I am real down on GM and their so called warranty, I should have know better, since I have ots of friends in the car business and know the M.O. of how they do business.
Thats the long story of why I feel the way I do, about GM . They don't take care of their customers. "Moon"

Last edited by moonsign; 07-01-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:14 PM

Wow Moon, that really sucks, i feel i am just two steps behind you on being black listed. I got a call from the dealer wednesday, left a message that i'd pick it up thursday. Ended up going down friday to pick it up. the really nice thing is they are going to refund my money since the "fix" did not fix the problem. I'm figuring I'll get that check in a few years...
The part that really pisses me off is that the service advisor basically said that the mechanic isn't going to want to work on my car because I don't take care of it. The only thing they could find wrong is that my rear tires are bald (they are, I had ordered tires just before bringing it in now 2 weeks ago). They also said the map sensor wiring is shotty and that no one is going to want to woprk on a car with that kind of issues...This coming from a dealer who works on cars and I'm sure works on wiring on other cars. I basically told the advisor I would take care of wiring since their techs are incompetent in doing so. I guess all those years of soldering r/c car battery packs will come in handy!
Anyway, another thing the service advisor said is that he got a call from the chevy customer care guy and left a message in return saying the owners car has been modified with after market parts. I told him this is from GM but whatever, everytime i tell this guy something, he bends it another way. I will probably do the same, give a *****ty response to the servey when or if it comes in. I'm still contemplating reporting this to the bureau or automotive claims, still contemplating this because really, if a dealer is going to be like this, what's the point in going in for warranty if it's worthless??
I guess I'm going to have to do the work myself, I almost asked if I could use their lift and teach them basics on soldering but really just am tired of seeing that dealership.
Oh, to top it off, driving yesterday, i pushed it a little, car miss fired shifting from 2nd to third at wot...i know it's the sensor, just kind of made me smirk a little that it's not corrected.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by moonsign
My experience happened around Oct.-Nov. of last year, and no don't have the old case number now.
The noise that I was trying to locate[ noise in front end since day I bought car new] kept getting louder as the miles went up, so I dropped by F.H, Dailey Chevrolet to talk to the service manager[a old drag race friend of mine] to see if they could locate the noise, so I could fix it myself. He said, No problem, bring it in and we'll take care of it[car had less than 9000 miles on it]. Well, after a week, called and said, car fixed. Picked up car, and within a block, found it was'nt. They kept it a few days, same deal, noise still there. Then when I pointed it out the thrid time, I was told that since I'd installed Pedders springs, since new, they could'nt help me.
Well, about a week or so later, got a survey. Did'nt thinkl anyone would read it, so I flamed F.H. Daily real good. Found out "Bad decision as it started all kinds of fireworks. Suddenly I'm the bad guy.
Customerservice got involved, swearning that my problem would be handled. Well, after a lenghtly back and forth, found out service rep. had put me on the GM poo-poo- list, so now Custom service, started making up stuff to get off the hook[ the red painted calipers, only one of a few lame excuses, they came up with, so they denied any more help. Found out Groth Bros.[where I bought the car-and I know the owner] found out about the whole thing, and they said "No dice, you are black balled for warranty work].
Well, now after all that crap, I am real down on GM and their so called warranty, I should have know better, since I have ots of friends in the car business and know the M.O. of how they do business.
Thats the long story of why I feel the way I do, about GM . They don't take care of their customers. "Moon"

even if they say your warranty is voided for having painted calipers, they can only void the warranty on the brake system at best. they cannot void your warranty on your motor or your tranny because your brake calipers are painted. this is the law so i would not stop until they know that they cant do that.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:12 PM

Yeah, well between The Dealerships[3], around here, and Customer care, they will find any excuse they can dream up[key word is dream up], to not do warranty work. The service rep for this area is a real A--hole, and don't know anything about GM products, especially the Delta platform[We talked and I know, he's full of it].
Here in the Bay area it is really bad, trying to get anything done as far as warranty. Everyone wants to cop out, lie and make up excuses, instead of doing their job. Customer care is strickly GM run, so when it gets to them they suck up to the reps, and nothing get done, except lip service.
If I did'nt like this car so much, someone from GM would have a HHR-SS shoved up where the sun don't shine.
Like I said before. Any problems I have, I'm better off getting it done myself. At least I will know it's done right, and I don't have to put up with GM's weak crap. "Moon"
P.S. Looks like snoopyspaz is getting the same runaround treatment I got. I'm sure there are many others.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Hi guyes, been a couple weeks, well, i finally got my money back, had to drive back and get the check in person...figures...

So today, I'm home from work (threw my back out) and take the kids to day care (zoo day today, woohoo). I'm coming home and notice third gear isn't seating correctly and i actually missed a shift while driving normal. Thought this was wierd and went down my street, went through first (also not seating completely), then second (kind of like it is seating and some), then third. Well, while in third, i push it forward a little more to see if it will seat correctly and what do you know, the shifter goes limp and it's stuck in third...I'm just glad I was rolling up to my house. I can push the clutch in and it will idle normally, so, something is up with the shifter or internally with the tranny. I'm so pissed off right now...I'm so ready to drop this thing off a cliff and call it a day. Trying to figure out the whole lemon law deal now...I haven't been able to drive it without some fear of something going wrong with it. WTF is up with this bull *****??? Trying to figure out if i should go to the same dealer since they have a record of everything or try a new dealer. Last dealer I'm sure is not happy that they had to give me back my money. Oh well, tough luck for them. I'm seriously pondering what to do next in regards to looking for a new vehicle.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Look at the shifter cables, as they've been known to pop loose; it has something to do with how the cable is routed through a plastic collar-type thing under the shifter. I THINK there's a TSB on it (ChevyMgr correct me if I'm wrong). I'd start by looking there before having them rip open the tranny. Best of luck!

Later
Allex
Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM

Yeah, I popped the center open and took a peak, everything seems to be functioning ok but did notice that now when shifting, it feels like it's crunchy or grinding. Could be the cables, could be the tranny. I'm about to take it to another dealer...

Just got a all back from the service guy at the dealer i just got it back from. He said the reason why they gave me back my money is because they don't want to see my car again. He suggested I take it to another dealer. I was kind of floored by that but, in all reality, I don't think I would feel comfortable taking it back here anyway. So, I have left two messages with Chevy Customer Care and am really considering calling my local news station and seeing if they want a decently orchastrated claim to bull***** service at a pathetic dealership. Heck, all the postings here are a pretty good chronological recount to what kind of a head ache I've had to put up with in a measly 9 months of ownership...now I can't even drive the thing. If, and a big IF they can figure this out, I'm heading straight to a honda or toyota dealer...I have lost all faith in the American dealership. Well, I might try Ford but I don't like their current line up. If Chevrolet does make it right, they would have to cover the car for life...only way I'd keep it...Can you feel my frustration??? I'm so tired of the run around...
Old 07-21-2011, 03:26 PM

I have friends that work or have worked in all the GM dealerships in the Bay area, and I can say for sure that none of them can be 100% to take care of your problems, at any given time. They are out to make money off the GM customer, and by and large don't care about the warranty that GM supposely gave you when you bought their product.
Some people have decent luck, but most do not, unless they can make bank on you.
Customer care is a joke. They are a shill of GM, that trys to make you feel all warm and cosy, until they finally get to the point of dodgeing the issue, with some lame excuse. They are basically powerless to fix anything, without GM'S blessing, and that don't happen very often.
Nowdays you buy a GM vehicle, you are better off, fixing any problem yourself, because GM will stick it in you ever chance they get. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. "Moon"
Old 07-22-2011, 10:32 AM

Haven't gotten a call back yet from the dealer, still waiting. I have a pos aveo as my rental, I'm contemplating returning it asap, would rather walk, I really do not like this car, lol. Still waiting on word from the dealer, hopefully it's covered under warranty, once fixed, i'm taking it to the nearest competitor dealership and asking what they can do for me in regards to trade-in...I just can't deal with not having a reliable vehicle. It pains me to say this, I really wanted to give the American car industry a fair shot and I really think I have, but with this experience, I hate to say with this kind of service and quality of work, I'm better off with something foriegn. I hate saying that but it's true, at least in my case. I might go to Ford or Crysler, possibly but will probably go back to my high school days of a honda again. So frustrated right now.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:37 PM

So I just got a call from the dealer...one of the shifter cables if broken, and, of course, it's not covered under warranty. Saying it will cost $605 bucks to repair. I'm really, really, really unhappy at this point. The car has been nothing but trouble for the last 7 months. I have only owned it for 9 months. At what point does this get considered as a lemon? at 52k miles, you'd think with all these problems I should really have around 152k miles. My stupid honda civic, a 1995 20+ year old car is now being driven by my dad and running strong with around 220k miles on it. I just don't get it.

Ok, done venting, I'm considering just ordering the part and doing the work myself. Then again, I really don't want to f*** it up. So, probably going to have the dealer do the work. The difficult part is coming up with $605 bucks. Sure today is payday but I don't have that kind of cash laying around Guess we'll see what happens, maybe some nice guy will drop off a million dollars in my mail tonight

Anyone want to buy an 2008 hhr ss? Selling it cheap...

Quick Reply: The SS making a clunk noise at WOT