SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Yet another failed SS, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sidecardog1
When I hear all the electrical excursions you have, I think either a short or wacky ECU. For shorts, the first place I would suspect is where the GMTU connections were made and in your case soldered. You could simply have a loose (broken) soldered joint, a chaffed wire(s) near where the A/C compressor and lower TMAP harness are VERY close. There are GM TSB about the A/C interference concern and plenty of connections posts on this website regarding that issue. When I had the connections issue, I showed the dealer copies of posts that showed other GM dealers were soldering the connections and they did it. However, soldering is not foolproof and can fail as well. There could be moisture intrusion, corrosion and those things wreck havoc with voltage loss on the control signals. Are you out powertrain warranty? If not, this sounds like it should be covered. As an aside, the only time I have ever seen my display instruments go wacky is when the battery was failing, that was on the motorcycle. Hope you get it worked out.
Solder is doomed for long term unless it is supported with a wire shrink wrap etc. The viberations will get it in time if not suported. Solder is fragile and will not take a lot of beating and that is why GM used the connectors.

Keep in mind the connectors are the same used in aviation and for air bags so the reliability is there but I feel most techs are not either using the corrct tool or they just don't know how to install them properly.

The plug in adapters were what was needed but the lack of money at GM prevented this in 08-09. They are available now so anyone installing can use them.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:45 AM

Wish I had been more patient before just going all in with the stage kit when it came out, but oh well. In regards to soldering I have already done that, and the possibility of it being cracked or having moisture in the connection is very good. I agree with you Hyperv6 that solder is fairly brittle and not made for long term. I have researched a lot of the other post and find most people resort to swapping the wiring harness, dumping the stage kit and reverting back to stock and tuning from there. To sidecaredog1 both GM and the dealer say the powertrain warranty would not cover these items because they are not considered and oiled or moving part. I'm sure if I get angry and complain enough I could get somewhere, but I'm just fed up with wasting time, money and energy on trying to get my car fixed. So just going with the saying if you want something done right do it yourself.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 PM

I've had 3 years and 36k of trouble free miles after the GM Turbo Upgrade kit was installed by a competent dealer service tech. Even in 2009, they were already versed in dealing with the 'Balt LSJ St1 and St2 kits. I had an issue at 37,000 miles that produced erroneous codes and they traced it down to a failed BOSCH lower TMAP sensor that was part of the kit. The total cost was $300 for diagnosis, parts and labor. The codes did not tell the story, only the symptoms. It was the tech who narrowed down the culpable component. After the car was running cherry, I called GM customer service and pleaded my case and although out of warrantee, after a few weeks for them to review the case, refunded the cost of the repair. Might be tough to find in your area, but your only hope is a good dealer service tech, even if you have to travel or, as a last resort GM customer service.