Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Tire Pressure Monitoring FAQ's

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:04 AM

Okay. I just installed Solstice wheels and picked up a (free) set of TPMS units from a friend of mine who is in the automotive recycling business (read: junkyard guy).
They came from a late model Silverado (maybe '08-'09). My previous sensors had the rubber "pull-thru" stems on them. These are the kind that actually bolt-on. The sensors are blue (if that makes a difference).
I can NOT get them to learn. My system will eventually time out and give the the 2-honk feedback.
YES, my previous wheels had functional sensors and I re-learned them a few times for tire rotations.

I sold my old OEM wheels/tires locally to another HHR owner (thanks Craigslist) so I did not bother keeping my old sensors.

Any one know if GM uses more than one system? Maybe uses a different frequency or something?
Or possibly can the BCM be changed to recognize the different sensors (if they are actually different)?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM

After a little additional research, I learned that ALL TPMS sensors transmit at either:
315 MHz or 434 MHz.

Does anyone know if the HHR (specifically 2009 in my case) is required to have one or the other, or will the system recognize either?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:59 PM

Is there any way of finding out if the dealer did sensor matching when they rotated my tires? My LEFT Rear tire ended up on the RIGHT Rear (yes, I marked it). I don't recall seeing that in any tire rotation charts, therefore I DO NOT trust that they did any sensor matching after rotation.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by emstess
Is there any way of finding out if the dealer did sensor matching when they rotated my tires? My LEFT Rear tire ended up on the RIGHT Rear (yes, I marked it). I don't recall seeing that in any tire rotation charts, therefore I DO NOT trust that they did any sensor matching after rotation.

Select a tire and sufficiently deflate it. The dash system will indicate the location and the low pressure. If it matches the location of the actual deflation, I would probably do one more .....since you have some doubts about the dealer.

To match the tires to the correct location......check in your Owners Manual.....it's not very hard and takes about 10-15 minutes.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by emstess
And check in your manual, I think that the recommended rotation results in some L/R changing, but, I think it's RR to RF, LR to LF, RF to LR, LF to RR . I personally have had bad results from that, but the "book" says.... Maybe GM has a reason for publishing things?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Technical Moderator

NEVER trust the "GM Certified Technician", they probably have taken some classes (at Flat Rate Hourly) in other words; they sleep through 30% of the class. My flameproof suit is on!

I know that all of the "Technicians" that I have encountered get paid on a percentage of the Flat Rate per Job. Which is the time a complete dummy thrown into a service bay with a service manual could complete the job. Believe it or not, rotating tires is somewhere in the 1.6 hour range, not including balancing. I have personally Changed 4 tires including balance, valve stems etc. in 5 minutes (that was a long time ago, on a bet).

They don't match the TPMS unless you pitch a *****, you are not supposed to know about that. Nobody reads the manual... Oh wait a minute that is the reason for the Gov mandated TPMS, Nobody could read the manual, the sticker on the door sill, the sticker on the glove box door. But for some reason EVERYBODY can read the part on the tire "(max) PRESSURE 40 PSI" Oh well...... I actually edited this diatribe. Maybe I should find younger socks?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:55 AM

When I was working as a auto tech I was paid 4 tenths of an hour to do a tire rotation it paid a little more for relocating tpms cars. when I was sent to classes i was paid hourly for the class (8 hr) I too have seen some tech out there that don't care about customer service just a paycheck but There are some techs out there that enjoy doing the repair correctly You just need to find them. When you find a tech that has done good work or has went above and beyond I would ask for them to work on your car when ever you make an appointment. I had customers request me by name when they bring there car in for service. It gave me a sence of pride and made me money if the shop was slow that day.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
When I was working as a auto tech I was paid 4 tenths of an hour to do a tire rotation it paid a little more for relocating tpms cars. when I was sent to classes i was paid hourly for the class (8 hr) I too have seen some tech out there that don't care about customer service just a paycheck but There are some techs out there that enjoy doing the repair correctly You just need to find them. When you find a tech that has done good work or has went above and beyond I would ask for them to work on your car when ever you make an appointment. I had customers request me by name when they bring there car in for service. It gave me a sence of pride and made me money if the shop was slow that day.
Sadly, far too many people lack this.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Founding Member

Putter,

The Silverado sensors will not work with an HHR.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Putter,

The Silverado sensors will not work with an HHR.
I was able to (sadly) verify this when it was in the dealership a few weeks back getting the ignition cylinder replaced. The guy tried to re-learn them but failed. He asked what they came from and told me the same thing.

Oh well, I will replace them when I buy tires.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring FAQ's