Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Tire Pressure Monitoring FAQ's

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:28 PM

Just talked to the counter guy at NTB. He said that the batteries in the sensors cannot be replaced and that the sensors cannot be removed without permanent damage - therefore with a new tire purchase, all the sensors must be replaced. He said they are running more that $100 per tire. That pretty much doubles the cost of a set of 4 new tires. Does this make sense? I have 44,000 miles and will be buying new tires this fall. I'm thinking about buying the tires - mounting them myself and taking them to a shop to have them balanced. The car is an '08 LT model and if the sensors last 10 years, I should be able to get them to last through another set of tires. Any thoughts? - Jimmy
Old 05-29-2011, 04:38 PM

I would think if you are staying with the same wheels you should be fine..... Make sure the tire guy knows they are there (they should ask by now at most tire stores)
Old 05-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by macarchie
Just talked to the counter guy at NTB. He said that the batteries in the sensors cannot be replaced and that the sensors cannot be removed without permanent damage - therefore with a new tire purchase, all the sensors must be replaced. He said they are running more that $100 per tire. That pretty much doubles the cost of a set of 4 new tires. Does this make sense? I have 44,000 miles and will be buying new tires this fall. I'm thinking about buying the tires - mounting them myself and taking them to a shop to have them balanced. The car is an '08 LT model and if the sensors last 10 years, I should be able to get them to last through another set of tires. Any thoughts? - Jimmy
If this is a 2008 USA model HHR. If it is a former rental, then other stuff applies.

He is full of ... (misinformed about). The batteries can not be replaced, but the sensor can be removed and placed onto a new (special) valve stem for a price. However the "old" advice about you have to replace the valve stems is bunk, I used to sell valve stems on commission, even when they are made out of rubber they don't really go bad often. They have not been made out of un-adulterated rubber for many years.

AS long as the TPMS is working, you do not have to do anything but replace the tires and then reset the TPMS positions. DO NOT REPLACE the valve stems unless they can be proven to be bad, and don't fall for the old "bubbles when you push the stem around trick" you have to see bubbles coming from the rubber part as opposed to the metal/rubber interface.

If the tire technician just pulls the old stem out without your approval to replace them, then A) he is untrained and B) you demand new TPMS sensors and stems. They will not argue if you demand to see the old parts and your authorization.

What they may be talking about is "TPMS" service for about $4.00 a tire. At PepBoys, for instance, they want to do this in order to get a rebate equal to the price of one tire. As far as I could find out this includes nothing more than a new valve core and cap, that's about 10 cents worth of stuff and labor they are already doing , and no proof of replacement.

If you really care just get the "special" caps at the parts store, they are the metal ones, what is special is that they have a new rubber gasket. Valve cores do not go bad in normal use, you may force one to fail after 40 years, but they don't use un-adulterated rubber anymore!

To recap: Do not replace the valve stem unless it's broke. Do not replace the TPMS sensors unless they are broke. Do not pay for "TPMS service" unless you get a rebate that at least pays for it. Do not pay the tire store to reset TPMS positions, but insist that they do it (and watch to be sure).
BTW, expect 70,000 from the OEM tires.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:26 PM

thanks for all the info... so many opinions, misleading info and confusion out there that it would be easy to spend a bunch unnecessarily. I got slightly different info from another shop. They check the old sensor for corrosion and battery life and only replace if necessary. There is a handheld device that will interrogate the sensor and report the battery life left.
In looking at the tread left, I doubt if I can get 70k out of them... In order to pass inspection this fall, I'll probably need new rubber - especially before the winter hits.
donbrew, I am in your area - we've probably rolled along on the same streets.
enjoy.
- Jimmy
Old 06-12-2011, 08:55 AM

I just did the re-learn of the TPMS and it was very easy. took less than 5 minutes.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:01 PM

re

sorry guys...i'll be the bad guy

these things are a bunch of bull#$@! - they over complicate a simple thing cause headaches for all concerned with a tire change and if i could disable them they would be gone tomorrow - just guess i'm ole school
Old 06-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Deceased

I agree that they are a royal PITA 08bowtie, especially for those of us who care about their vehicles and understand the concept and operation of a simple tire pressure gauge.

Sadly the whole TMPS deal came about because you have tons on "Joe Sixpacks" and "Jill Soccermoms", who drive merrily along with ten pounds of air in their tires...then wonder why they ended up in the ditch.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:26 PM

Can they be disabled using a TechII (or whatever it's called)? I seem to remember some conversation in the past about shutting it off for some seasonal tires that didn't have tpms. I have a co-worker who has a shop for side work (other than our non-automotive regular jobs) that has a tech II, and we were looking through some things while programming a remote key fob, but I don't remember if we stumbled upon a disable function for the TPMS.

Personally, I do like having one more fun gadget to play with and watch, but I do also understand the associated gripes and costs. Sure would be nice if tech was cheap and easy.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:33 PM

Ok, so *NOW* I go back and re-read the first post of this thread by ChevyMgr, and it indicates that it can't be shut off. To quote Gilda Radner's SNL character Emily Litella, "Never mind."
Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by JavaMann
Ok, so *NOW* I go back and re-read the first post of this thread by ChevyMgr, and it indicates that it can't be shut off. To quote Gilda Radner's SNL character Emily Litella, "Never mind."
Just remember all the times you have said "there ought to be a law", they always bite you in the "end". :bana nnadance:

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring FAQ's