War Stories HHR vs all

Jettas hurt

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
That was a BS answer from the cops. I've never seen a shopping mall kind of parking lot that the police don't have jurisdiction over. In the one area of town here they even have signs up warning people that just because they are in a parking lot doesn't mean the police don't have jurisdiction over it.

Go do some burnouts and donuts in the parking lot and see how fast the police are willing to take over and give tickets.
Not so. Here in Oregon the cops can't do anything in a store parking lot unless the store invites them too, so yeah, burnouts could get taken care of by the cops if the store complains.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Banned

Cops will almost never be dispatched to a non-injury collision in a parking lot. That said, from a legal perspective, you ALWAYS want the cops to respond if you are NOT at fault. Shady insurance companies are hard-pressed to deny a claim when a police report has been filed and the only way to do that is to tell the dispatcher that there's been an injury or you don't know for sure. Either way should trigger an EMS response and a ticket for the driver at fault.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 PM

Here's how it works where I live...

Police will respond to a non-injury crash (not called "accidents" any more here, they had too many "on-purposes" when bad guys ran from cops, I guess). Police will also write crash report if requested by either/both driver(s). Not necessarily a "state crash form" (Pennsy is very strange about crash reports), most local departments adopted a simple "he said/she said" form to document the incident, in case the insurance company requests it.
They don't necessarily say "car x was at fault", and won't readily ticket someone for backing out of a parking spot whose view was blocked, and finally, will only enforce traffic laws in a parking lot if specifically requested in writing by the property owner (not necessarily the tenant/store staff)