Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Maintenance and Upkeep > Recommended Maintenance
-

Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Member #: 57006
Check out my gallery 
Recommended Maintenance

Hey everyone. I have a 2009 HHR LS. It has 66000 miles on it. I have done all oil changes myself every 4-5000 miles. New filter everytime as well. Other than that I have bought new tires and just recently got the airaid intake installed. What would you recommend I do for maintenance at this time? Car runs perfect. Only complaints are squeaky brakes and a slight clunk over bumps on the passenger front suspension. Just would like to know what should be done at this time?
Thanks everyone.
swerv0428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Administrator

Member #: 21740
Check out my gallery 
You really have nothing major due on the service schedule until 100,000 miles, then its a transmission service and a couple other minor things like new spark plugs.

I would either adjust or have the rear brakes adjusted up, HHR's are known for having marginally effective self adjusters on the rear drum brakes, well OK...to be honest they just don't work, so have the brakes adjusted at every oil change or tire rotation.

The squeaking you are hearing might be a set of front brakes nearing the end of their service lives, they are equipped with a "noise maker" that will emit a screeching when the pads are pretty close to worn out. So have the front brakes checked and serviced as necessary.

The clunking is most likely the sway bar end links or sway bar bushings, they are the main culprits of the phenomenon called the "HHR Clunk", here's one of a few threads on the noise and its cures.

front end clunk

On being left in a parking lot for 500 million years: "The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into sort of a decline"-Marvin the Paranoid Android
843de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #3

Member #: 57006
Check out my gallery 
Thanks for the reply. it has been clunking for like 20,000 miles over bumps. I know there is a thread about adjusting the drum brakes. Can anyone give me a quick run down on how to adjust the drums. Never had a car with drums so this is new to me. Thanks
swerv0428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Administrator

Member #: 21740
Check out my gallery 
Give this thread a read, there's an imbedded YouTube "How To" video, plus lots of good tips.

The most important thing is to have a quality jack and jack stands, never try to use the factory tire changing jack for anything except changing a flat tire.

Proper Rear Drum Brake Adjustment Procedure

On being left in a parking lot for 500 million years: "The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into sort of a decline"-Marvin the Paranoid Android
843de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM

submit to reddit