2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Single Cylinder Misfire - intake valve spring

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by net_manager
I found when 3 was at the top, 1's exhaust valves were already a little bit opened and going to be opened. If I made 1's exhaust valves were closed but not opened yet, 2's exhaust valves were still a little bit opened and going to be closed.

​​​​​​Anyway, in both cases, I did leakdown testing on 3. I could feel the air flow out from the hole that had the exhaust valves opened .I put the spark plugs back to the 1 and 2 holes just to stop he air flow, then I could feel the air come out from the tail pipeline.
The exhaust valves seem to be doing as I would expect.

Sounds like air is leaking past #3 exhaust valves, entering the exhaust manifold, and some air going through the open exhaust valves in #1 or #2. Plugging the spark plug holes forced all the air out the tailpipe.

You'll need a valve job OR a new/rebuilt head OR a new/used/rebuilt engine.
I suspect your timing chain may be off a tooth. A new/rebuilt engine will have a new timing set. Any other option, you'll want to put a new timing set on. Either way, the timing issue will be fixed.

Since the oil helped your compression, I do also suspect ring/cylinder wall wear in at least #3. Probably best to get a new/used/rebuilt engine. Like I said before, it may not be more expensive than a head replacement.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
The exhaust valves seem to be doing as I would expect.

Sounds like air is leaking past #3 exhaust valves, entering the exhaust manifold, and some air going through the open exhaust valves in #1 or #2. Plugging the spark plug holes forced all the air out the tailpipe.

You'll need a valve job OR a new/rebuilt head OR a new/used/rebuilt engine.
I suspect your timing chain may be off a tooth. A new/rebuilt engine will have a new timing set. Any other option, you'll want to put a new timing set on. Either way, the timing issue will be fixed.

Since the oil helped your compression, I do also suspect ring/cylinder wall wear in at least #3. Probably best to get a new/used/rebuilt engine. Like I said before, it may not be more expensive than a head replacement.
Thank you very very much, RJ_RS_SS_350. While I am looking for a reasonable place to replace the engine, do you think if it is a good idea to unplug the fuel injector electric connector for #3? One of my friends told me I could temporarily do so. He told me the fuel injector was closed by default. If the electric connector were disconnected, no fuel would be injected into the 3 and I could save my cat converter when I am still driving this car. I know that will definitely give me other CEL code, which I don't care that much. But wondering if I shall do so.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:20 PM

One more thing I tried was using the borescope. I am unsure if I did anything wrong but after trying many times, I gave up. I couldn't find enough space to bend the semi rigid cable so I could get the correct angle to monitor the exhaust valves in the above.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by net_manager
Thank you very very much, RJ_RS_SS_350. While I am looking for a reasonable place to replace the engine, do you think if it is a good idea to unplug the fuel injector electric connector for #3? One of my friends told me I could temporarily do so. He told me the fuel injector was closed by default. If the electric connector were disconnected, no fuel would be injected into the 3 and I could save my cat converter when I am still driving this car. I know that will definitely give me other CEL code, which I don't care that much. But wondering if I shall do so.
I don't know the answer to that. Someone will correct me or confirm, I think if you disconnect the coil pack, the computer will know there is no spark, and shut off the injector.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
I don't know the answer to that. Someone will correct me or confirm, I think if you disconnect the coil pack, the computer will know there is no spark, and shut off the injector.
I tried as my friend suggested. I disconnected both (spark plug coil and the fuel injector electric plug). The car is drivable but with more shakings. Will report here after more driving.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:37 PM

It's probably unnecessary. I think if the cylinder misfires, same thing, the computer shuts off the fuel injector. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in.