Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Amateur radio (ham radio) installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Deceased

to the forum helichuck!

You might be getting RFI from the injectors under load, here's a link to an article about RFI issues in newer vehicles. It seems that injectors are getting electrically "noisier" with increased fuel rail pressures.

http://www.k0bg.com/ignition.html
Old 10-01-2011, 08:29 PM

Greetings from KA9VQ

Greetings from KA9VQF
hummm,... some how I managed to smeg up my title to this entry.

I was having some problems with my stock stereo so I put a Clarion AM/FM/CD player in dash with a kit I got off eBay.

The kit comes with wire pigtails so you don’t have to hack up the original HHR wires to lash your aftermarket radio in place. There is also a plastic single DIN adaptor with a little pocket you can put either on top of or under the after market radio.

The pocket that came with my kit was just big enough from top to bottom for my HTX-212 FM 2 meter radio. But the radio was to long front to back to fit nicely. I took the pocket out and hand crafted a steel strap to hold it closer to flush with the front of the dash, then cut some Plexiglas to fill the hole then painted that black on the back side so it was nice and shiny.

Oddly enough it turns out the driver side speakers that came in my HHR were bad. They played just fine for over a month with the Clarion then just stopped.

My wife was all distressed that the chimes that tell you things like ‘The door is ajar’ and ‘Your out of gas stupid’ went with the stock radio.

So,… I put the original radio back in dash and have replaced the original front speakers with a pair of infinity speakers out of my big box of speakers. It was fun making the funny shaped adaptors to hold the replacement speakers.

The 2M rig no longer fit in dash so it now sorta hangs off the center console on the passenger side on more hand crafted straps.

I use a Larson 5/8th wave magmount antenna that usually sits as close to dead center on the top of the buggy as I can get it. Sometimes it ends up stuck much closer to the back of the top because we use a Sears EsCargo rack top carrier when we go places.

It really doesn’t seem to matter where I put the antenna I still get out just fine.

Last edited by Grizzly old man; 10-01-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: title came out wrong
Old 10-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Deceased

Sounds like quite the rig you have there Grizzly, you need to get some pics up. Hmmmm.."smeg"..might you also be a fan of Red Dwarf?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Sounds like quite the rig you have there Grizzly, you need to get some pics up. Hmmmm.."smeg"..might you also be a fan of Red Dwarf?
My HHR is nothing special at all. I do what work I have to on it as I can afford it. Some stuff I have managed to get done before it has become a real problem some not.

“Smeg” the universal adjective as it were. Can mean anything replaces any of the more gutter four letter words no problem.

And yes I am a Red Dwarf fan. It used to be on Public Broadcast and may well still be. I used to be able to tune it in with the antenna before the change from analog TV to digital.

We do have cable now but I rarely watched the TV before the change and still rarely bother to turn it on. My wife will search the channels looking for western movies and old western TV shows and watches them over and over.

Two years ago I was able to pick up the complete start to end boxed set of DVD’s with all the Red Dwarf programs in it and a lot of the other stuff from behind the scenes and the specials they had for public broadcast fundraisers as well for a song on Amazon.

It was under $50.00 but still managed to qualify for free shipping.