Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Upgrading questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:57 PM

Upgrading questions...

I would like to upgrade the sound in my hhr. It is a 2007 hhr with premium sound 6 cd changer and sub in the back.

So I would like to know:
1st, is there an amp for the speakers and another for the sub? Are they powered to max potential?

2nd if so, what is the wattage output to each speaker and sub? Is it good enough and all I need is better speakers?

3rd if not can I add a 4 channel amp for the speakers with new speakers and add an amp for the stock sub in the back while keeping the stock head unit.

The speakers sound ok the way they are now but I would like to have that great sound, and there is no control to adjust the bass from the sub so I figured with a new 4 channel amp powering some nice speakers and having an output for an additional sub amp it would be better and give more control over the stock sub and maybe even keeping the stock sub amp.

Anyone have any input on this matter? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:50 AM
Deceased

All good questions, and our audio oriented members will probably chime in soon.

In the meantime, check out our "Audio" sub-forum by clicking the link below....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/

And don't forget our Google linked Search Function at the top of the page, it works like a treat.

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge, I'm from a generation where a pair of new 6x9 speakers on the parcel shelf and a shiny new Kenwood AM/FM 8-Track in the dash, made you "The Man" after high school let out for the day.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

LOL! I hadn't heard that in awhile. 6x9s were the bomb!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:25 PM

I live in Chula Vista and bought my Pioneer X950BH, all adapters and backup camera from a automotive stereo shop in Imperial Beach, just off I-5, after the first light on the right side. If I remember the name is Car Audio One and they did not do any BS to me, sold me what I needed as I did my own install. All fit together perfectly after I cut out the rear of the stereo area in the dash. The sound is amazing with the stock speakers, preamp, ect. If you want so additional info you can send me an email from the site here with your contact info.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:49 PM

There is a single factory amplifier that drives both the front speakers and the subwoofer. As far as the speakers being powered to their max potential, it is hard to say. Tech specs for these factory systems are usually somewhat difficult to find. I have heard that the HHR pioneer system is 240 watts total. I would guess that the RMS value is around half that. I would feel confident in using a higher power amplifier for the fronts provided that the high pass filter is utilized and the gain set appropriately. In the end, the amplifier power is rarely what damages speakers. Clipping/distortion is what damages them. So if you use a more powerful amplifier, you just need to dial it in correctly (gain/HPF settings).

Whether or not the factory components are "good enough" is entirely up to you. Improvements can always be made provided enough time and disposable income. Replacing the stock speakers alone may provide you with some clarity, but be careful. I understand that the factory fronts are a two ohm load per channel. Most aftermarket speakers will present a 4 ohm load. So you have to effectively double your amplifier power to achieve the same volume in this situation. My advice would be to swap out the speakers if you add an aftermarket amp to drive them.

Yes you can add an amp to power your new speakers and sub while retaining the factory headunit, but I wouldn't recommend it. Depending on the installation methods and parts used, there is a large chance that you will not get the "clean" sound that you're looking for, and you may run into other issues such as engine noise being introduced into your system.

To get the best sound possible, most professionals would suggest replacing all of the factory components. This will provide the cleanest sound, most options, and help you to avoid running into issues. If that is not an option, I would look at simply adding an aftermarket subwoofer to the factory Pioneer setup. This is a relatively inexpensive way to go and I can tell you from experience that the sound improvement is great.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:27 AM

Thank you, I just liked the look of the factory dash, but if they both run off one amp that is interesting? Thank you for the information.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:32 AM

LOL! I hadn't heard that in awhile. 6x9s were the bomb!
Whaaatttt???? 6x9s aren't cool?
Old 04-19-2014, 03:07 PM

Ohh, what are the inputs on the stock amp?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 AM

If you search the forums for amp installation there are a couple of good write ups that include the complete wiring diagrams for the factory amplifier. There are three plugs in the amp one will have a pink remote on wire, and the other two have the output to the amp and the output to the speakers (depending on how you would want to tap in). I have done installs using the output from the amp. The wires are the typical GM brown/yellow for the left rear channel and blue/light blue for the right rear channel.