Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

TCE Plus-2 Brake Package for the SS! (56K WARNING!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:46 PM

sure do, i will get them up here hopefully tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:01 AM

Excellent, thank you.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:04 PM

here you are!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:25 PM

You did an excellent job of documenting your brake upgrade. I noted that the stock pads that are pictured differ slightly from the stockers on my 2006 HHR. For whatever reason the friction surface is smaller (or at least it seems that way). I wonder if this is an attempt by GM to alleviate the brake shudder everyone refers to as warped rotors?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Yonash
here you are!
Thanks, I know you stated they feel the same normally, but when you need them they are there. With that statement in mind would you have paid $1400 for this upgrade? I know you got a discount, but do you feel it's well worth the normal price?

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 10-12-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Removed pic from quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:08 PM

honestly, yeah, the rediculous improvement in braking power is well worth the full price, especially if you have done some power mods, and even more so if you have some kind of track use, a little or a lot, planned. if it weren't for how quickly the seatbelts lock, when i was bedding my brakes, my little brother's face would have found my dash in a split-second haha.

hhrbama, the brakes on my SS (the stock brakes) will likely be different from yours, being ours is designed to be a bit more performance oriented. i don't know enough on theory and physics of brakes to accurately say why my pads would appear smaller than yours, other than i believe my piston in the caliper is a bit smaller (Todd can clarify this, he has the measurements), possibly for brake bias reasons, pressure differences front to rear, etc.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Yonash
honestly, yeah, the rediculous improvement in braking power is well worth the full price, especially if you have done some power mods, and even more so if you have some kind of track use, a little or a lot, planned. if it weren't for how quickly the seatbelts lock, when i was bedding my brakes, my little brother's face would have found my dash in a split-second haha.

hhrbama, the brakes on my SS (the stock brakes) will likely be different from yours, being ours is designed to be a bit more performance oriented. i don't know enough on theory and physics of brakes to accurately say why my pads would appear smaller than yours, other than i believe my piston in the caliper is a bit smaller (Todd can clarify this, he has the measurements), possibly for brake bias reasons, pressure differences front to rear, etc.
Thanks, I still want to do these, just need the money and to convince myself I need brakes before more power!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

The pad size is based on the piston size in the caliper they fit. The SS uses a much smaller piston than the standard car thus the fit of the pads will be smaller too. It can't be quite as large or you'd have a small circle pushing on a large, flat surface. With that you end up bending the plate with high pressure and can turn the plate to a banana shape of sorts. That being the case the size of the pad really has no bearing on the function of the brakes- large or small the pressure is related to the piston size only and not the pad size. The larger pad would certainly last longer but not work any harder.