GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

GM Ignition Recall Extended to All HHR's 2006-2011 UPDATED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:39 PM

No problem just thought I'd help answer any questions
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Yes I am a genius.
The electric power steering motor is an "assist" motor. Works just like a belt driven power steering pump on a conventional ps setup.
You can still turn the steering wheel(and turn the steering) with the power cut off to the electric motor. Same applies with turning off the engine for the belt driven pump system.
As I stated before, as long as you don't turn the key to the lock position which will lock the steering wheel.

PLUS. I said brakes and steering would still work. I didn't say anything about airbags.
Calling someone a dufus is just childish.

Sorry if you don't know how your vehicle works. Getting your "facts" from some obscure internet story, well, everything you read on the internet ain't always true.
Working at a diminished capacity is not safe and you know it. Making the excuse that you can overpower the steering (most people don't remember cars before power steering) and losing the power to the brakes will cause pressure loss on the pedal... ABS is also turned off at that point as well.

Seriously anyone who is going to act as an apologist while a company knowingly ignored the problem until the cost of death suits rose above fixing the problem is a ******... whether defending GM for this, or Toyota for their computer brake problems.

Last edited by 843de; 03-29-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:47 PM
Deceased

Merged your thread into the main "Recall" thread thumper, trying to keep everything contained in one area.

As an aside, trolling, name calling, and other inappropriate posts Will Not be tolerated.

I had closed this thread earlier, but on secomd thought I decided to re-open it.

But please do keep discussions civil, this is a "Hot Button" issue for dang sure, but we shouldn't let ourselves get into grade school level name calling.

We're all adults here, OK.

Last edited by 843de; 03-29-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:46 AM

ok guys be kind now as i have a question for you. as an owner of a 2011 hhr will i be able to get a loaner until the parts come in to fix this problem? my neighbor has a 2007 and they got a loaner a couple of weeks ago. as this is my only vehicle i would rather be safe than sorry, so if anyone knows the answer to this please let me know. i will call the gm customer service number but thought someone may know the answer to this. since i purchased it a month ago used, not at a chevy dealer, i wouldn't even know what dealer to take it to for service. i know, any chevy dealer will fix it, i'm just saying i don't have a working relationship with one yet. be kind guys, its just a question and i don't want to get everyone all worked up. thank you
Old 03-29-2014, 08:05 AM

Just for clarification. If we had our lock cylinder replaced for the other recall will we still need to get the new recall fixed?
Old 03-29-2014, 08:31 AM

Yes big dog you can get a rental car from your dealer if you don't feel safe driving your car. And yes metalhead you DO need to have the recall done as you might have gotten one of the bad switches on your last recall. And Thanks Mike.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 AM

Just to let you guys know Chevy had there reasons to hold off on this recall weather it be good or bad but at least they ARE fixing the problem. not like other companys that have never admitted a problem. We all in here drive our HHR'S and personaly I really like mine.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Deceased

Thanks "thumper" for giving us the view from "down in the trenches", since you're in the employ of a GM dealer, your updates here will be hugely appreciated by the membership.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by l78thumper
Just to let you guys know Chevy had there reasons to hold off on this recall weather it be good or bad but at least they ARE fixing the problem. not like other companys that have never admitted a problem.
That's a small consolation. If the problem has existed since the 2006 model and the recall was instituted this year, one would have to wonder how long GM knew it before they admitted it. I'm with King Aires on this one; stop trying to make excuses for GM. It is what it is. The only difference is that the other company(s) got caught.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Banned

I caught the tail end of a report on NPR this morning that said GM had 'possibly' replaced over 5000 ignition switches with the old type switches, which is why they are now including all HHR models in the recall. And that it was also part PR what with the new CEO 'turning over a new leaf'. A fresh start.

Quick Reply: GM Ignition Recall Extended to All HHR's 2006-2011 UPDATED!!!