HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SS Exhaust & Intake Kit is out

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:17 PM

True bigger is not always better, but usually bigger than stock is always better.

But again, you can't take rules and make them universal to all cars and all mods.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by XXL
That statement isn't universally true, and it doesn't address the many parameters that lead to "quicker power" and "less turbo lag." Just want to make sure other readers don't get off track by the "bigger is always better" message.
But it is universally true that turbos love no restriction at all. That's why cutouts are popular with turbos. My buddy runs with one in his 400+ whp PT GT. You look at the Evo's, Sti's, Srt-4's, etc that make good or insane power. They all went bigger exhaust. Bigger is better in this case. I've got personal experience in getting to "quicker power" and "zero turbo lag" in my turbo'd cars when going with a bigger exhaust. This is with the smaller stock turbo of course. The SS isn't any different than these other cars. Bigger is better.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:04 AM
XXL

Originally Posted by white heat
But it is universally true that turbos love no restriction at all. That's why cutouts are popular with turbos. My buddy runs with one in his 400+ whp PT GT. You look at the Evo's, Sti's, Srt-4's, etc that make good or insane power. They all went bigger exhaust. Bigger is better in this case. I've got personal experience in getting to "quicker power" and "zero turbo lag" in my turbo'd cars when going with a bigger exhaust. This is with the smaller stock turbo of course. The SS isn't any different than these other cars. Bigger is better.
Again, not true. You can eliminate all the back pressure on the outlet side and what you'll find is that the turbo is all in before you're ready for it to be there. An engine can't just take unlimited input at any RPM... that has to be part of the _system_ design. Let me know when you get that ultra-jumbo turbo with the 6" dump on it... I'd be interested to see your time slip(s)... and how many you managed to pick up before you blew up your motor.

Also, I hope you're not ever standing nearby when a turbo grenades because you let it spin up without any controls. They WILL got to 100k RPM, and they WILL come apart. On one of my turbo bikes, I had a MBC go bad and it let my TD03 spin up forever... it came apart... right behind the head... which is under the gas tank... which is in close proximity of where I sat.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:25 AM

From reading all of the posts, it seems like alot of us, and me being first need and should learn more about Turbos and how they are engine related with power, and exactly what their limits are, before anyone makes any mods to the engine. and it's great that we have members like XXL and others, (sorry if I don't mention everyone) that have the experience and the "common sense approach" for doing additional mods to our engines. If a Sticky could be created with "Turbo info" either by a member or referred to articles to learn from, that would help many of us before spending $$$ and making really unnecessary mods in the future.....just my
Old 06-08-2008, 12:03 PM

getting back to an earlier post, everything I've read about the SS's computer will dumb the engine back to stock HP levels. So these would be purely cosmetic mods, correct?
not worth the money imho.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by XXL
Again, not true. You can eliminate all the back pressure on the outlet side and what you'll find is that the turbo is all in before you're ready for it to be there. An engine can't just take unlimited input at any RPM... that has to be part of the _system_ design. Let me know when you get that ultra-jumbo turbo with the 6" dump on it... I'd be interested to see your time slip(s)... and how many you managed to pick up before you blew up your motor.

Also, I hope you're not ever standing nearby when a turbo grenades because you let it spin up without any controls. They WILL got to 100k RPM, and they WILL come apart. On one of my turbo bikes, I had a MBC go bad and it let my TD03 spin up forever... it came apart... right behind the head... which is under the gas tank... which is in close proximity of where I sat.
I really don't understand where you are coming from. All I'm saying is go with a larger aftermarket exhaust and get faster turbo spool and decrease turbo lag. I and all of those people on SRT Forums and PT Crew running with larger aftermarket exhausts have had no problem with exploding turbos. So you are saying stick with the stock exhaust system and be happy and for fear of blowing up their turbo? That's rediculous.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:53 PM

it's ridiculous too.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:46 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by white heat
So you are saying stick with the stock exhaust system and be happy and for fear of blowing up their turbo? That's rediculous.
I'm pretty sure I didn't write anything of the sort. If I did, can you link to the post so I can correct what would indeed be a "rediculous" thing to type?

You made the assertion that "it is universally true that turbos love no restriction at all. That's why cutouts are popular with turbos" I countered that assertion (once before, once after) that bigger is NOT universally better. You've obviously got your heart set on your belief, so enjoy it. I wasn't trying to start a 1x1 debate with you... we can do that via PM if you really think it's worthwhile for you to engage in. I was trying to proffer the idea that 1) there are rarely "universal truths," and 2) the one you assert might be worth others to investigate before hacking away at their cars.

Feel free to reply, I won't see it. I filter out posters I don't find to offer useful information _for me_.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by XXL
I'm pretty sure I didn't write anything of the sort. If I did, can you link to the post so I can correct what would indeed be a "rediculous" thing to type?

You made the assertion that "it is universally true that turbos love no restriction at all. That's why cutouts are popular with turbos" I countered that assertion (once before, once after) that bigger is NOT universally better. You've obviously got your heart set on your belief, so enjoy it. I wasn't trying to start a 1x1 debate with you... we can do that via PM if you really think it's worthwhile for you to engage in. I was trying to proffer the idea that 1) there are rarely "universal truths," and 2) the one you assert might be worth others to investigate before hacking away at their cars.

Feel free to reply, I won't see it. I filter out posters I don't find to offer useful information _for me_.

Didn't mean to make you run away and hide from me. I thought we were having an interesting conversation. But, if you can't handle it feel free to block me. All I said was that if you are going to replace your exhaust system do not go with the stock diameter. Here's part of an article on a turbo and restrictive exhaust.

Why do I need to upgrade the exhaust?
-The extra power from modules and injectors creates more exhaust pressure. Restrictive exhaust flow can reduce power and drive up EGT levels. High-flow exhaust kits reduce backpressure to allow the turbo to breathe more effectively. Less restrictive flow means cooler exhaust temperatures, quicker turbo spool up and better mileage.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:47 PM

Magnaflow

I am now curious if Magnaflows new cat backs for our SS will be larger in diameter than the non turboed models??? If larger diameter is better then the after market people will make it larger!