"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Install Trailer Hitch- Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:06 PM

The red electrical tape was a good idea. Lets you know when you forget to put the pigtail back into the HHR.

Guess I jinxed myself today. Uhaul called & my wiring is in-however no email from seller of folding trailer & the posting was just taken of craigslist. At least I'm set up for when the time comes. Bummer.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 AM

I found a rubber plug/grommet in rear of tire well that wasn't used. So I drilled a hole thru it and ran my pigtail out that way. (did have to cut and splice the wires to get thru the hole and seal with silicone) Enclosed the wiring in a wire loom to finish it off. When not in use I can tuck it out of the way on top of the hitch. Name:  002-18.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  45.8 KB
Name:  001-14.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  48.7 KB
Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 PM

I really like the household lamp as a work light source; I’ve always disliked the bright glare of a trouble/shop light.

X2 on the “red” wrapping of the wire.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Glow in the dark tape?

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
The red electrical tape was a good idea. Lets you know when you forget to put the pigtail back into the HHR.

Guess I jinxed myself today. Uhaul called & my wiring is in-however no email from seller of folding trailer & the posting was just taken of craigslist. At least I'm set up for when the time comes. Bummer.
In the dark I accidently didnt leave enough slack in the wire before closing the hatch. When I got home (into the light) I noticed that the wire was way too tight! Maybe I need glow-in-the-dark tape??? haha
Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 AM

Ghetto garage

Originally Posted by Sno White
I really like the household lamp as a work light source; I’ve always disliked the bright glare of a trouble/shop light.

X2 on the “red” wrapping of the wire.
I knew the table lamp would make a few people laugh. Sometimes, when I start a project, I just grab whatever's handy. The only 'shop light' I had was already hooked up to the battery. But it wasnt enough light so I went hunting through the house for a suitable alternative. Hello table lamp haha
Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 AM

Capital Idea!

Originally Posted by HHRNole
I found a rubber plug/grommet in rear of tire well that wasn't used. So I drilled a hole thru it and ran my pigtail out that way. (did have to cut and splice the wires to get thru the hole and seal with silicone) Enclosed the wiring in a wire loom to finish it off. When not in use I can tuck it out of the way on top of the hitch.
I like this idea! Much better than closing the hatch onto my wire. I may have to look into this myself...
Old 02-01-2011, 03:02 AM

Wow - run the wire out the back so the door can slam down on it, never would have thought of that. I guess taking my time and run it out the bottom throught an existing drain plug was the wrong thing to do. Seemed like a pretty good idea and has never leaked.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by TiggersHHR
Wow - run the wire out the back so the door can slam down on it, never would have thought of that. I guess taking my time and run it out the bottom throught an existing drain plug was the wrong thing to do. Seemed like a pretty good idea and has never leaked.
I still have 16K left on my bumper to bumper. If I have to take it in under warranty it will just take 2 minutes to undo mine. I checked for pinching in the wires through the hatch and the wires are fine. When the warranty is up things may change...
Old 02-06-2015, 10:14 PM

Did either of you who ran the plug out the bottom have any issues with the spare going back in or was it a easy install that was still using good cord management? I will be adding a hitch finally to my hhr in the next month. I HATE the idea of running a plug out the door.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:36 AM

Welcome to the site

I ran my wiring the same way through the spare tire well. There is lots of room to run the wiring so that it won't interfere with the spare.

I cut and spliced my wiring so I could make a smaller hole with a grommet for the wiring to go through. I did not go out the bottom I drilled a hole at the top of the spare tire well.