Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Car sputters and hard to crank on a cold start.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:59 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 843de
The MAF sensor is part #14 in this diagram, it's easy to get at once you've removed the airbox. It should only be cleaned using "MAF Sensor Cleaner" available at your local auto parts store.

One important thing to remember, DO NOT under any circumstances touch the sensor elements, just let the cleaner blast away any deposits. If you touch the sensor elements, it's pretty much ruined.

Thanks for the diagram! That was just what I needed!:
Old 01-05-2014, 06:06 PM

Ok after taking my car to several local mechanics they all agreed that it was the MAF sensor that was bad, but this is the problem I am running into now. You specifically stated and others have also that "One important thing to remember, DO NOT under any circumstances touch the sensor elements, just let the cleaner blast away any deposits. If you touch the sensor elements, it's pretty much ruined.. I have went to several local part stores to buy the part and they all come in a box UNSEALED. How do I know if the part has been touched or mishandled if its not sealed in plastic! I cannot believe that the manufacturer would ship the part like that knowing how sensitivie it is. I dont trust buying a part like that if it isn't sealed. What can I do or am I just over reacting a little bit?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Deceased

Personally, I've never run across a replacement MAF sensor in a shrink wrapped box, this includes one right off the dealer's shelves.

If you buy your new sensor at a reputable location, and the box isn't beaten up or showing greasy fingerprints, I wouldn't worry.

The absolute worst case scenario is a new sensor coming out of the box dead, which happens sometimes, so you just take it back for another one.

After over 30+ years of working on cars/trucks/tractors, I can count the number of "new in the box" dud parts on the fingers of one hand.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:23 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 843de
Personally, I've never run across a replacement MAF sensor in a shrink wrapped box, this includes one right off the dealer's shelves.

If you buy your new sensor at a reputable location, and the box isn't beaten up or showing greasy fingerprints, I wouldn't worry.

The absolute worst case scenario is a new sensor coming out of the box dead, which happens sometimes, so you just take it back for another one.

After over 30+ years of working on cars/trucks/tractors, I can count the number of "new in the box" dud parts on the fingers of one hand.
Ok that was my same thinking. But I actually called the dealer and it was the same scenario except they packaged the part in bubble wrap. But I will certainly take your advice and thoroughly inspect it for fingerprints and or scratches. Thanks for your help!