Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Check Engine light and no remote start

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Check Engine light and no remote start

'I keep getting a "check engine light" indication and then my HHR will not start by the Remote Starter, but it does start via the Key in ignition.
Also, it seems that my thermostat reading is erractic.
Does anyone know anything about this issue? Outside temperature is 12 degrees F.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Certain CEL's will render the remote start inoperative.
If you "keep getting a check engine light" sounds like you have chosen to ignore that something is wrong with your car. The computer has recognized a problem, thus the reason for the CEL.

You need to have the codes pulled to get the number for the problem code(CEL). It's almost impossible for us to guess what your problem could be without the code number.

Erractic temp reading? If its showing low or even "----" on the dash, this may be the reason for the CEL. The computer sees the car is slow to reach operating temp and this can trigger the CEL. (P0128 trouble code if I remember correctly)

Usually this problem is due to a bad thermostat.

So. Get the codes read and post them up here. We will gladly try to help you.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Deceased

to the forum and Merry Christmas!

If you have an illuminated CEL, the remote start function is automatically disabled by the vehicle until the fault is rectified.

If your engine temp reading on the DIC is "---", and the gauge on the dash is not reading or playing dead, you may have a bad engine temperature sensor or thermostat(or both combined).

When the auto parts stores open up again tomorrow, have one "pull the codes" and post them up here so we can help you narrow the problem down.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:56 AM

Yes is your reading out like dashes across or your getting a reading say like 190 degrees? more than likely you have to replace the thermostat and when your check engine light is on it will disable your remote start always... best thing to do is to find out what code it is ,go to autozone or any parts seller and they will read it for free...
Old 12-27-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by mike673
'I keep getting a "check engine light" indication and then my HHR will not start by the Remote Starter, but it does start via the Key in ignition.
Also, it seems that my thermostat reading is erractic.
Does anyone know anything about this issue? Outside temperature is 12 degrees F.
Hi Mike,

Sorry you are unable to use your remote start due to an engine light. I see you've gotten some advice from our fellow forum members. Was this something you were going to try to tackle yourself, or were you planning on seeking the assistance from one of our dealerships? I would be happy to set that up for you. If you would like any assistance feel free to reach out via PM with your full name and contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care