Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

front bumper removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 05:46 PM

Concerning bumper

Hey, everyone
Phillip here (Blackbird)
Sorry I haven't been around for awhile...been kinda' busy with the car. Can't afford wheels, so been busy paintin' wheel covers and door handles. Had 'em painted before, but not happy with results. Didn't have a garage or proper tools to do things right. Lotsa' sandin'...had to research a lot about the handles. One thing said I had to pull the inner door covers and remove the glass! I don't THINK so! Good thing I checked some more. Real simple. First time I did it, taped up the whole side O' the car to do it!
Oh, well...live & learn, right?
Well, that's done. Not perfect, but different. Gold anodized.
Now, I'm workin' on a grill for under the front bumper. As usual, can't afford all this billet and aftermarket stuff, so gotta make do. Along with the grill, puttin' in "ram-air", but it would be a whole lot easier just takin' the bumper cover off, instead of all the crawlin' around on the driveway...not as "agile" as I used to be. Been down there before lookin' but it's hard to see all this stuff.
Been lookin' at your posts, and have a couple exploded views from the Chevy garage, but those are about as vague as the owner's manual.
I know about the bolts around the radiator, in the wells, and I think a couple more...not sure...but haven't seen these "snaps" yet, and am also concerned about the body snaps...the black removable things...have the tool, but sometimes they don't wanna go back in and stay there.
Also, anyone wanna "guide" me through the picture sendin' process so I can "show & tell"? Not really too good with computers. Don't Twit, Tweet, Text, or any of that other crap. Sent some e-mail pics once, but tried again, and they wouldn't go. I don't know for sure what I'm doin' wrong, besides gettin' older! Ever have those days where ya' put down your pen for a second, then ya' can't find? Even worse, put somethin' somewhere where you won't lose it...?
Oh, well...didn't mean ta' write a novel here...but I WOULD like to show you guys what I've managed to do.
Thanks in advance. Oh! And have a great Turkey Day! Phillip
Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Deceased

Over at 1AAuto.com they have a video of bumper removal for bulb replacement, pretty informative. They also have a video on fog lamp replacement for the HHR.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:10 PM

Went to 1AAuto...no video to be found. Contacted them about it. They said there are none. Maybe I missed it somewhere. There's about 14,000 listings for this place. I have a couple buddies at a body shop...large local...very helpful so far. Maybe someone there has done some work. Hafta check on that. I'll clue everyone in on the results. Thanks, though anyway. I appreciate the response. Phillip
Old 11-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Deceased

Hmmmmm, sorry about the bad info, had it bookmarked and now I get the dreaded 404 error. Guess I should have checked it first, hangs head in shame.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 AM

Tried again at 1AAuto. Typed in my make, model, etc., and, Lo & Behold, found it under "Head-light replacement"! Now, don't tell me ya' gotta go through all that grief just ta' change a headlite bulb!? Don't think so. But that whole operation looks fairly simple. Don't have my entire twisted scheme quite worked out just yet, but workin' on it. Still need to know how ta' send pics in here, though...It's amazing what you can come up with when you're on a tight budget...just takes awhile. Phillip (Blackbird)
Old 11-24-2010, 06:20 AM

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/-/Chevy/HHR/-/-/2009
Videos at bottom of page
Old 12-30-2010, 03:30 AM

there is a very helpfull video on www.youtube.com just serach for HHR headlight removal