Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rubbing sound from steering column, and other symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 08:42 PM

Rubbing sound from steering column, and other symptoms

Hi all. I have a 2011 HHR and some strange symptoms began today. First, while traveling I heard a chime for no apparent reason, on two or three occasions. It's like the chime you hear if someone isn't wearing a seatbelt.

Also, the "service airbag" light came on for a little while, then went away.

Finally, when I turn the sterring wheel for a sharp turn, I hear what seems like a rubbing sound. It's not loud -- it sounds like plastic on plastic or rubber on rubber. And it happens whether turning right or left. At first I thought maybe the steering wheel was rubbing the plastic cowling of the column, but I can't see any contact point. It seems to happen at a specific point in the revolution, so if you turn the wheel two circles, you hear the sound twice.

The steering and handling are fine.

Any idea what this could be? Could it be related to the airbag clock spring?
Old 04-10-2021, 03:14 AM
geg

Well, first of all I think the issues with the service lights / sounds on the dashboard and the rubbing sounds from the steering column are not related.
The chime and light are the result of the fact that the on-board computer does not receive data on the operation of some systems. First, check the battery level. Then, if the battery is normal, look for OBD2 codes.
Squeaking in the steering column is an unpleasant but usually not a dangerous disease. Many of us have this design flaw. You can remove the steering column trim and try to visually or audibly locate the goblin's settlement. Find a place - you will understand the reason. Understand the reason - determine the method of treatment. Probably just grease something.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:28 AM
Administrator

The clock spring is up just under the steering wheel, doubtful it would sound plastic to plastic as the spring is steel.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:44 AM

OK, I took it to Firestone this morning. They said it was the clock spring. But they can't work on that. They said I should take it to the dealer or a body shop. I was glad it wasn't anything directly steering-related, as I'm traveling and need to drive some distance to get home tomorrow. I'll take it to the dealer next week.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:01 AM

Not steering related if you discount the effects of a airbag blowing up in your face while driving. The clockspring is the wiring for the airbag.
There is no magic involved in fixing it, just following directions.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Pretty easy to change , RockAuto has them

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...bag+switch,639

make sure you disconnect the battery for 30 minutes prior to removing the air bag

https://www.google.ca/search?q=how+t...&bih=827&dpr=2

similar steering column, similar procedures