Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Trans Problem i think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:07 AM

my 06 2LT A/T has always had a sort of little bump-bump-bump at a signal light...like the torque converter is trying to lock up while it is in gear, sitting still.

Motor mounts check out fine, it is not a misfire...just a little quirk...like a dog pulling on the leash because it wants to run!

I often wondered if it was my car alone...but apparently it is not.

If i throw it in neutral, it stops...I think it is transmission related...probably a torque converter lock-up issue.

as for the "lunging forward at start up"...our 2001 Chevy S-10 with the 4.3 A/T does the same thing. it rocks forward right when the engine starts. Always has. So does our race truck.

Keep in mind, the PARKING brake is called just that...and should be used for this reason. Many used to call them "emergency brakes"...but they are a "parking brake" designed to hold the car still while it is parked with no occupants...
Old 09-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
Keep in mind, the PARKING brake is called just that...and should be used for this reason. Many used to call them "emergency brakes"...but they are a "parking brake" designed to hold the car still while it is parked with no occupants...
Actually it's a hand brake.

In cars, the hand brake (also known as the emergency brake, e-brake, or parking brake) is a latching brake usually used to keep the car stationary. Automobile e-brakes usually consist of a cable (usually adjustable for length) directly connected to the brake mechanism on one end and to some type of lever that can be actuated by the driver on the other end. The lever is traditionally and more commonly a hand-operated system (hence the hand brake name), the most common configuration being a handle on the floor between the driver and front passenger, and less commonly being a handle bar located on the lower portion of the dashboard somewhere close to the steering wheel column or between the driver and their door. Alternatively, the lever can be on the floor between the driver and the door or foot-operated, in the form of a pedal in the foot well in front of the driver, located to the far left apart from the other pedals.

Although sometimes known as an emergency brake, using it in any emergency where the footbrake is still operational is likely to badly upset the brake balance of the car and vastly increase the likelihood of loss of control of the vehicle, for example by initiating a rear-wheel skid. Additionally, the stopping force provided by using the handbrake instead of or in addition to the footbrake is usually small and would not significantly aid in stopping the vehicle, again because it usually operates on the rear wheels--which suffer reduced traction--compared to the front wheels while braking. The emergency brake is instead intended for use in case of mechanical failure where the regular footbrake is inoperable or compromised, hopefully with opportunity to apply the brake in a controlled manner to bring the vehicle to a safe, if gentle halt before seeking service assistance. Modern brake systems are typically very reliable and engineered with failsafe (e.g. dual-circuit hydraulics) and failure-warning (e.g. low brake fluid sensor) systems, meaning the handbrake is no longer often called on for its original purpose.

The most common use for an automobile emergency brake is to keep the vehicle motionless when it is parked, thus the alternative name, parking brake. Car emergency brakes have a ratchet locking mechanism that will keep them engaged until a release button is pressed. On vehicles with automatic transmissions, this is usually used in concert with a parking pawl in the transmission. Automotive safety experts recommend the use of both systems to immobilize a parked car, and the use of two systems is required by law in some jurisdictions, yet many individuals use only the "Park" position on the automatic transmission and not the parking brake. Also, manual transmission cars are recommended to be left in their lowest gear (usually either first or reverse) when parked, especially when parked on an incline.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_brake
Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 AM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/sear...archid=1110723

Yves
Old 09-03-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
Actually it's a hand brake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_brake

You southern people.....no where in there does it mention it's SOLE purpose! Drifting on the snow and ice!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
You southern people.....no where in there does it mention it's SOLE purpose! Drifting on the snow and ice!!!!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:37 PM

Trans problem

I have a new 2009 HHR with automatic transmission and I can not only feel and see my car lurch forward, I also hear a click or meshing of gears sound. Since my car has less than 1000 miles, the problem in intermittent and the dealer says that this is normal. I too suspect that the issue is related to the transmission, since there was a recall for a trans cable issue, which could be related. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this, but if the dealer thinks there is nothing wrong, what do I do?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Racer56
I have a new 2009 HHR with automatic transmission and I can not only feel and see my car lurch forward, I also hear a click or meshing of gears sound. Since my car has less than 1000 miles, the problem in intermittent and the dealer says that this is normal. I too suspect that the issue is related to the transmission, since there was a recall for a trans cable issue, which could be related. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this, but if the dealer thinks there is nothing wrong, what do I do?
see i have the same thing. and i also think that the dealer would tell me nothings wrong.

ill check for this recall also
Old 10-22-2009, 12:26 PM

tranny or what? at 40mph the tach jumps up and down and I GET SURGING tranny shifts wierd like it lunges when it shifts, Anyone?????
Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by chooch21
tranny or what? at 40mph the tach jumps up and down and I GET SURGING tranny shifts wierd like it lunges when it shifts, Anyone?????
nah thats normal, my 01 ranger did that to at that speed, its either a little above 40 or to go 38 in between those just throws the car off