SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Lots of oil in cyl #3

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

FYI. The preferred method is to remove the engine out the bottom by dropping the engine cradle. Especially when pulling the SS engine with it's limited space.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
FYI. The preferred method is to remove the engine out the bottom by dropping the engine cradle. Especially when pulling the SS engine with it's limited space.
That's exactly how its coming out. Just needed more light. Garage is poorly lit.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:03 AM

Well the motor is now pretty much ready to drop out. I'm a work smarter not harder kinda guy so intake is off and torque converter already in bolted. Pretty much time to roll my floor dollys in and unbolt struts and cradle and lift the body off the motor.
Thanks for the support of those who are chiming in.
Oh ton a ton of hhr motors. Mostly out the top but never a ss motor swap. God bless.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:03 PM

So motor is out. We ended up taking it out the top and it went super smooth and easy.
We removed the exhaust manifold and the harmonic balancer and it slid right out with zero issues.
Reason we chose this route is that we live in the heavy rust belt and didn't want to open a can of worms with brake lines and stuff.
On a bad note the engine we where going after at a local salvage for $550 turned out to be bad. So where still looking for a motor and may have found another from a local guy for $600 if I pull it.
130k miles. So not sure what direction we are going at this point. Wish us luck.
I will be tearing into the old motor just to see how bad it actually is.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:56 PM
Administrator

I’ve put used pistons in a slowly dying 2.8 V6 , they lasted a summer, until I had a V8 prepped.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I’ve put used pistons in a slowly dying 2.8 V6 , they lasted a summer, until I had a V8 prepped.
If been there only problem is I don't need this car leaving his wife or him stranded when he is so sick.
Story is I met him when I was diagnosed with cancer.
He gave us a really nice car and hardly knew us. And then gave me a job later when I beat my cancer. In the time Iv known him if watch him give and give. And I even got to help a little.
When he helped me He made sure we had a sound car and I always said I would pay it forward. No I have the chance. Thankyou for all your help. All you knowledge you have helped me with. I know ill get him on the road again.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Need more pictures of the work progress.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:13 PM
Administrator

When Sweetie was in the hospital kicking cancers butt to the curb, I put a lot of miles on Oldblue, very dependable.
If I lived closer, I drive on over there and lend a hand.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:15 PM

Even though it seems like more up front, ZZP is probably the best option, since you don't want ongoing issues. I had those conversations about used ones (in Southeast MI) when my motor blew, and I just gave up. Now, I wish I had checked around more. With no ride, you get frustrated.

I don't have a lot of time, but I think you might be local to me. I would certainly like to help if I can. Feel free to PM me. I poured money into mine fixing symptoms when I should I have just done a swap.

The SS is a great car with no replacements out there. And, the owner seems like a real good dude, or you wouldn't be here.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:28 PM

Update.

The thread has been handed to me by the original poster. I am the owner of the car and doing little better. And going to try a tackle this.
I now have a replacement motor that was sold to me and purchased by my buddy for $600. The motor had 124k miles. And ran great.
We have purchased all new timing components threw rockauto. As that's all I could afford. The new motor is on a engine stand. Half opened up.
Here in Michigan it's pretty cold so I can only work on this where I have spare money for kerosene to put in the space heater. But I'm getting there.
Man I miss the days when this would have have been a 1 day job 2 tops. Getting old sucks.
I'll post some pictures of the progress tonight. Motor is still in the car so I have alot of work ahead of me and keeping my heart right and keeping myself from getting sick is number 1.

Can someone tell me how to change my name from helping hand to anything but something sounding like a charity case. Maybe Darkknight.

Quick Reply: Lots of oil in cyl #3