SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

SS Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 PM

Question SS Overheating

'09 SS, 116K+
I've spent a couple of hours sifting through the previous threads on the subject.
My question is, does anyone have a make, model, brand, etc. for just the fan motor by itself? Even though GM doesn't have a part no. listed for that individual part, I'm sure our cars can't be the only ones in existence that use that same motor.
I've already tried replacing the control module, but I'm still having the issue where the cooling fan runs "some times". I'm thinking the motor is the issue. I'm just trying to avoid buying the whole assembly when I already have a new control module.
Thx.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have the part number but...
You might want to take a close look at the wiring in the vicinity of the fan. I recall a couple threads from way back. I recall that one owner found a burnt or bad spot in the harness several inches back from the fan connection.
I believe there is some sort of crimp connection in that location.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I don't have the part number but...
You might want to take a close look at the wiring in the vicinity of the fan. I recall a couple threads from way back. I recall that one owner found a burnt or bad spot in the harness several inches back from the fan connection.
I believe there is some sort of crimp connection in that location.
Thank you for the reply.
I recall that from some of the threads I've read, but I'll have to wait for daylight before I can take a closer look. I also read a lot of your posts in those previous threads. Your input is much appreciated.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 PM

A couple years ago, I ran in to the issue where the parts catalogs would list one part no. for an entire assembly for a couple of model years, then list individual part no. on a couple of other model years. (power steering motor on a LS)

I also plan to poke around the Cobalt forums a bit.