Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Dumb rear spring install question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Really your choice, I placed mine in the up side.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:34 PM

In the sporting motorcycle world we were always concerned with unsprung weight. Unsprung weight is that which rises and falls with the wheel. Axles, brakes and hubs are all unsprung weight. Unsprung weight is bad because it causes the wheel to be less able to stay in contact with the road surface.
A lightweight rim and tire will follow the contours of the pavement better than a heavier wheel and tire, since the heavier one has more inertia resisting its movement. The less weight, the easier the suspension can control it.
I would put the heaviest end of any spring up toward the body, the lighter end being left to follow the road contours.
It's esoteric biker stuff, but the physics still apply. The effect on our little trucklets wouldn't make much difference really. But still, might as well do it right.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Hence as I stated , the tighter coils on the upside.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
Yeah but,... 843 always sounds authoritative,...
This is fully true... like that UPS ad, with the guy's hand language...

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Always sounds like he's singing "I fought with Dorthy... Dorthy always wins"
First time for me on this one. Dude, I'm dyin'....

Wizard of OZ... way too much!!!

Originally Posted by Conax
In the sporting motorcycle world we were always concerned with unsprung weight. Unsprung weight is that which rises and falls with the wheel. Axles, brakes and hubs are all unsprung weight. Unsprung weight is bad because it causes the wheel to be less able to stay in contact with the road surface.
A lightweight rim and tire will follow the contours of the pavement better than a heavier wheel and tire, since the heavier one has more inertia resisting its movement. The less weight, the easier the suspension can control it.
I would put the heaviest end of any spring up toward the body, the lighter end being left to follow the road contours.
It's esoteric biker stuff, but the physics still apply. The effect on our little trucklets wouldn't make much difference really. But still, might as well do it right.

I am going to agree with this guy. For what difference there is, put the dead coils up if you have a choice (fits the same).