Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Question, Removing Running Boards ...???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 PM

I would keep them ! My HHR and my wifes came without boards in a very short time rear fenders looked bad. installed boards on both ..
Old 05-23-2011, 11:29 PM

Anyone know what the dealer gets for running boards ?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by oneton
I would keep them ! My HHR and my wifes came without boards in a very short time rear fenders looked bad. installed boards on both ..
Did you have the protection of Chevrolet molded splash guards before you put your boards on ??

I am trying to determine if the spalsh guards alone will give enough protection assuming she wont be driving on any gravell or dirt roads.......
Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 PM

Dear pipes,

What is the year of your HHR?

Here is a link that will allow you to view the assist steps for the Chevrolet HHR.
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Che...1%5Btype%5D=gm

To get detailed pricing information you will want to contact your local Chevrolet dealership.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-25-2011, 11:18 AM

There were occasions where GM split the cost of adding running boards to people who complained of paint chipping and wear. I beleive half the cost came out to around $450.
And if I remember, some had already tried the mud flaps, and were still not satisfied with the results.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by prod
There were occasions where GM split the cost of adding running boards to people who complained of paint chipping and wear. I beleive half the cost came out to around $450.
And if I remember, some had already tried the mud flaps, and were still not satisfied with the results.
Thats the Dillema ...

If you try the mudguards only and find out that your getting damage, it's to late to go back and wish you would have put the boards on without paying for the damage repair.
Funny thing where I live is that I have watched for HHR's with or without splash guards and no running boards, and made it a point to examine for possible damage when ever I get the opportunity.
I really haven't seen much damage. 3M clear tape or not.
I do not know the mileage or other driving habits of the owners but maybe it's the local enviroment here with O.A. better roads etc.

I guess it just boils down to Better Safe Than Sorry.

Put on the Boards...

By the way the Sticker on my new vehicle shows the color keyed running boards priced @ $445 MSRP from the factory on the car.

P.S. I really feel Lucky to have been able to pick up one of the last of this Breed and get all the latest fixes and updates factory installed.

I also feel Lucky to be able to take advantage of the total cash back of $6500on this deal. WOW !!!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Did anybody read this???? It's the original post and the question is.......

Originally Posted by Silverfox
I am considering removing the running boards from a 2011 1LT.

Will I be able to remove them and not have screw and bolt holes or other blemishes showing when I finish ???

The car is Brand New.

Any thoughts on approx. what the new boards are worth including any attaching hardware that I remove with them ???

He wasn't asking if he should or should not install something that is not there, he's got them. The original question was answered long ago.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:56 PM

Double the Protection

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Did you have the protection of Chevrolet molded splash guards before you put your boards on ??

I am trying to determine if the spalsh guards alone will give enough protection assuming she wont be driving on any gravell or dirt roads.......
I bought & installed both the running boards & the splash guards. The GM specific splash guards are rather large so the protection should be adequate. However, it would be fully protected with both the 'boards & the guards installed

Choose one of the following:
Protect your valuable investment (HHR)
Protect your valuable relationship (wife)
Old 05-26-2011, 02:01 PM

Not complete protection. I have running boards and splash guards since new, and I still have a couple chips on the rear fender flares. Even if all debris from your wheels are stopped, theres still rocks thrown up from other vehicles. Every time I pass a tractor trailer rig on the highway, Im pretty sure I get some damage somewhere. I can hear little ticks from stuff hitting my poor car.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Not complete protection. I have running boards and splash guards since new, and I still have a couple chips on the rear fender flares. Even if all debris from your wheels are stopped, theres still rocks thrown up from other vehicles. Every time I pass a tractor trailer rig on the highway, Im pretty sure I get some damage somewhere. I can hear little ticks from stuff hitting my poor car.
Makes sense as I have those little unexplained noises even driving my Smooth sided Van.

Big Rigs are a real threat especially in heavy rain and sanded covered hiways in the snow.
Out here there using small pebbles instead of sand which is a disaster for car damage issues.

Some Lawyer with a Nice Expensive Car outa fiqure out how to do a Class Action against the State to get their attention on this issue.

They used to use sand some years back. Probably not as effective and costs more then the larger material.

Maybe one solution would be to go to the "Distressed Look" on New car finishes like they do on Home Cabinets these days.